Monday, 18 February 2013

Breastfeeding peer support group - Day one

So this afternoon was course number 1/6. I had Halle accompanying me (she was a little angel as usual). I thought I was going to be the only one there with baby in tow, but nearly everyone had their bambino's with them, which was lovely.

We did small introductions about ourselves, which as I was waiting I felt a bit nervous about as public speaking is a bit of a weak spot, but I did well! I school I always hated public speaking as I use to go scarlet red 99.9% of the time! But it went well, and I believe this is because I felt comfortable in there. Talking to friendly ladies, all sharing our experiences and interest in breastfeeding, a very non-judgemental environment.

During the course we had a short break with tea and biscuits - always welcome!

We also went through the pros & cons for mum, baby, and society in groups, it was nice hearing all the viewpoints.

To name a few.....

Mum -
PRO's: bond, health benefits - smaller chance of breast cancer, ovarian cancer, osteoporosis. CON's: lack of independence - due to demand feeding.

Baby -
PRO's: bond, health benefits (smaller chance of ear infections, gastroenteritis.)
CON's: maybe stress if come across feeding issues.

Society -
PRO's: raising awareness, normalising.
CON's: the apparent lack of money spent on formula companies (boohoo...)

So there's a few of many pointers we came across today.

Overall I felt really pleased that I went. I've waited over two years for a course like this since going to the baby cafe when pregnant with my first daughter.

It was lovely to meet new people, and see recognisable faces. I can't wait until next Monday where I will learn even more.

:-)





SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Little Jam Pot Life. All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates by pipdig